2.28.2013

twins?!

I came across this post today and couldn't help but smile the entire time I read through it.  I've been following Rachael Kincaid's blog for a while and I absolutely adore her and her family.  It was her home birth that originally caught my attention.  I hadn't seen her post about finding out she was having twins before, and really, it couldn't have come at a better time.  

We are currently in the throws of some major sleep deprivation, a recovery from surgery, and last but not least, the flu.  Yes, Ryan has the flu.  My poor little dude.  

Anyway, Rachael's post  promptly brought me back to that crazy day in April 2011 when we found out we were having twins.  I was a little further than 6 weeks along and didn't have my first ultrasound scheduled until around three weeks later.  Unfortunately, a small scare brought me into my OB's office earlier than expected. 

We sat in the waiting room frightened and emotional, as the symptoms I was having made us believe that our baby might be in danger.  I cried the entire time the nurse took my blood pressure and asked me about my history.  When my OB walked in to the exam room, he quickly broke the ice with his joking demeanor and he told me not to worry.  This was the first time I had met him, and I knew to expect that he was quirky.  He did not disappoint.  

Before I go any further, I'd like to let you in on a little tidbit of truth to our baby making history.  The entire time we were trying to get pregnant, people would mention twins to me, saying they think we're going to have them.  Seamus was once even quoted saying he hopes we do have twins and that it would be cool.  o_O  I guess his wish came true.  

So, back to my ultrasound.  My doctor took a peak at the baby and quickly asked me, "Do you have a good heart?"  I was really confused by his question, (why the heck does that matter?!) but answered, "Yes, I do, why?".  Well, his answer was the shock of the century.  He said, "Because you're having twins!".  

Dead.

I just about died right then and there.

I never laughed and cried so hard in my life.  Laughed because this had to be a joke.  Cried because I was relieved that our baby babies were ok.  Seamus may have cursed in the corner.  Haha.  It was surreal to say the least.  

From that day forward I knew we were meant for our little guys.  I entered a world that many wish to be a part of.  A world filled with weird questions from strangers.  Such as, "do they have different personalities?"  or "which one is the bad one?".  A world of double the diapers, double the crying, double the drool and double the love.  

Looking back, I think that is probably the happiest day of my life.  I hadn't given that day much thought until now.  It was the day our world changed forever.  And although we have encountered some tough times in the last 18 months, we wouldn't ever trade the cards life has dealt us for easier ones.  








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...