8.07.2013

support. together.

If you've been following along for some time, you may recall that I've sporatically mentioned a group of fellow preemie moms that have been a huge source of support for me during the last two years.  (Not to overshadow the support I've gotten from my family & friends, and especially Seamus.  But a different kind of support).  You may even remember meeting their kiddos in November during my "Meet My Preemies" series.  

It all started when I was in the hospital, on strict bed rest, trying to keep the boys in just one more day, just one more hour.  I stumbled upon a Preemie message board and I dared myself to open it.  There, I found a post entitled "Then & Now".  This is where I found my first bout of strength and this is where I would inevitably return to when I needed more.  In the NICU days, this was pretty much day in and day out.  The women on the board posted photos of their preemies on the day of their birth (including stats and gestational age) and today.  Well, that day.  They then spoke briefly about what their kids were doing, milestones they were working on, struggles they may have had.  Little did I know, that just 6 hours later I would be delivering my own preemies.  And little did I know that these women would evolve into some of my nearest and dearest friends.  

Two years later, we aren't just moms that are part of the same group online that just so happen to have one thing in common.  No, we are a network of interesting and unique women, who care about each other and our children.  We support one another in all aspects of our lives.  We cheer each other on when it seems like the whole world is crashing down.  We celebrate small milestones, and sometimes big.  We help each other shop.  We give advice on parenting and friendships.  We help each other by learning from one another's mistakes.  We give each other a shoulder to cry on.  And we laugh a lot too.  

It may sound silly to some, but face it, we live in a world where the internet and social media are a huge focal point of our lives.  There is a wealth of information and resources out there that can be accessed literally with our fingertips.  And while I was doing just that, trying to access what I could to better educate myself on what was my imminent future, I just so happened to stumble upon people.  Some of the most wonderful people I know.

This past weekend I had the privilege of meeting a few of these women.  You see, we are all over the country.  As a matter of fact, some of us are from Canada too.  So all over the continent.  The few of us that inhabit the Northeastern part of the country decided to get together, in a small town and take our kids to a Children's Museum.  We later went to Denny's.  We went swimming and put our littles to bed.  And then we sat in the hotel hallway and had some adult juice & conversation.  It was really a sight to be seen.  The next day we packed up and all went our separate ways again.  Feeling a little more whole.  

I'm so glad to have finally met my preemie moms.  Thank you ladies for allowing me into your lives and for helping me get through some of the hardest months of my life.  I am forever grateful.

at the Children's Museum

ditto above

our wonderful group

hangin' in the hallway

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...